Wednesday, November 17, 2004

I make no bones about it.....


skeleton
Originally uploaded by wastedpapiers.
This Skeleton postcard for Boomerang was made for the schools network- for the biology teacher's. They hated it apparently so not been commissioned to design anymore which is a shame. Perhaps "hate" is too strong a word. They didn't feel it was appropriate. Too colourful and quirky and not enough information for their students. If it's a diagram they want they can surely look in a text book? A quiet day collaging and going to the dentist for my check-up and hygenist appointment. Going private has made them just as tardy but a bit more thorough - checking jaw bone and salivary gland? Seemed rather unnecessery, espcially counting the fillings and x-rays of tongue? In the waiting room I flicked through several National Geographics and read an interesting article about itunes and Napster in Word magazine. Seems that Napster is best, having far more access to the works of Showaddywaddy and The Wombles. Not sure if it was the magazines or the scraping of the teeth that gave me the headache which has lasted until now. Having fun finding animal clippings for the Collage Kids theme that I initiated of "Noah's Ark- in the 21st century". Almost finished it and will upload tomorrow if I get a chance. Testing out how to add a link now. Hey! Check out this! It's Hazel's latest addition to her great blog about toys.

8 comments:

Scrapatorium said...

I think it's great. Their loss.

Wastedpapiers said...

Thanks Angelica. What do these biology teachers know eh? How to dissect worms? I've sent a few collages to Boomerang since but to no avail. I've a feeling I've outstayed my welcome! I have had about 10 or 11 postcards published by them so haven't domne too badly over the years.

cemenTIMental said...

Thanks for the nice mailart bits Michael!

Speaking of your boomerang cards, do you know that one of them has been on TV? We were watching the channel 4 sitcom 'Spaced' on dvd yesterday and I noticed one of your cards, a weird face collage I can't adequately describe, stuck on the wall in the background!! I'm pretty sure it's one of yours, I seem to remember recieving one at some point. It's in many episodes as it's in the main characters' flat. If you like I'll take screenshots from the DVD some time for your amusement!

Wastedpapiers said...

We have the first series of "Spaced" on video- one of our favourite sit-coms. Will have to check it out again. or was it the 2nd series? Have you seen the zombie film they made? Supposed to be along the same lines.

Jonathan said...

I thought that they payed you if they used your artwork on a TV show... like if they used your music...
A friend of mine, John Lincoln Wright, gets a check every time they broadcast a particular episode of "Touched By an Angel" where they used a bit of a song of his...

Wastedpapiers said...

Sounds like a great idea but not sure if artists are covered for brief glimpses of postcards on obscure british sit-coms! I get a small cheque every year for my published works- mostly for the photo-copying rights.

cemenTIMental said...

Yeah, in series 1 and 2 I think? It's the postcard with the face made from a false nose/mustache and some kind of dial? I think... It's rarely in focus on the show.

Yeah, their zombie movie 'Shaun of the Dead' is superb, I watched it again yesterday actually... good stuff. Really funny, and also a proper good romero-esque zombie movie too.

Wastedpapiers said...

Ah yes, I know the one. very few of them postcrads left- if any? I dont need an excuse to watch SPACED again but will have a shufty at them again soon. Hoping santa will get me the Shaun Of The Dead on DVD- I here it has an extra disc of outtakes,commentarys,bloopers,etc. Sounds great. Just watched ELF which i mainly got for Archie but we chuckled at some of it - the usual american gloopy ending which pretty typical. Nice to see Bob Newhart? as a Daddy Elf!